Wednesday, September 11, 2013

The Dude


Wednesday September 11 2013

He's a rogue. A rascal. Exasperating. Time consuming.  Escape artist. FAT.

You've heard the stories:
How he'd escaped every single pen but one on the ranch. How he destroyed fences so he could escape. How he was always on a diet. How he was always getting into things (trying to escape), particularly in the middle of the nights.

But of course he was always entertaining: the time he bonked Steph in the forehead with a hammer, (he was trying to help her fix a fence he broke); how he rounded up cattle with Connie and Finneas and me and Jose, without a rider; how he always knew when he was in trouble when I yelled at him (his head popped up in the air and his eyes pop-eyed with the expression It wasn't me!; how you could jello-poke his fat deposits on his butt; how he cracked me up making funny faces; how he enjoyed (somewhat) exploring rides; how he was, really, just a good looking dude to gawk at; etc.

You may also remember the big hole he left in my heart, DESPITE EVERYTHING, when Steph sold Dudley to a new home in the wine country of California in May of 2011.

I got to visit Dudley on my travels in California this July at the Smeding's ranch, where Dudley was undoubtedly advising them on the subtle flavorings of their fine wines at Flying Horse Winery. Undoubtedly he also posed for their logo. Or he probably thinks he did.

The prodigal son is meeting us (undoubtedly being chauffeured in a limousine) at the AERC National Championship at City of Rocks this week, and he is coming home!

"I missed him," Steph said. "He's family."

THE DUDE IS COMING BACK!

11 comments:

  1. The Dude is quite a character for sure. I'm so happy for you all that he's coming back home. I'll bet he will be happy to see all his friends too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Story. It's not often horses return to their people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is a stunner! No wonder we always fall for the bad boys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear that Dudley is coming home. Let the games begin! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait for the post & I love the winery logo!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you're a bit in love with your rogue. No doubt you'll be glad to have him back. He'll liven up the place, and provide some great stories for your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL & you KNOW who's getting the last laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This blog is great. Thanks for being here. I just have one question: how do you say Owyhee? Oh-why-hee? Aw-i-hee?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liz, Thanks! it's Oh-Why-Hee. a bastardized version of Hawaii, named after some Hawaiian trappers that disappeared in this area in the 1800's.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, I wanted to make sure the voices in my head got it right. ;)

      Delete
  9. ...The time he ran off with my water hose, spraying it everywhere. All I'd have to do was walk into the house with that certain expression on my face and Steph would say, "Dudley?"

    ReplyDelete